I may have watched these movies with my parents or maybe some of them I actually liked...I don't really remember. What I do know is that it's a peculiar list to define someone's childhood. Shouldn't I have been watching stuff like The Land Before Time? Here is the Top 10, in no particular order:
1) Baby Boom (1987). Diane Keaton somehow acquires a baby and quits her high-power job to move to the country, where she falls in love with a vet and makes a lot of baby food.
2) It (1990). Stephen King movie starring the clown that scarred me for life. For a year after I saw this movie, I was afraid to go in the bathroom (he could be hiding behind the door), to sleep alone (um, clowns love it when kids are alone), and to sleep with my mom when I was too scared (because she could be It, disguised...duh).
3) Beetlejuice (1988). I think about this movie anytime I see someone with a little head. Which is not all that often, fortunately.
4) War of the Roses (1989). Michael Douglas and his chin fight Kathleen Turner to the death during a bitter divorce. There's some irony in this making the list.
5) Roxanne (1987). A witty firefighter with an obscenely large nose falls in love with a foxy astrologist that's new to town. Love you, Steve Martin.
6) Dirty Dancing (1987). Twenty years later, I still love to shake it on the dance floor.
7) The Little Mermaid (1989). Ariel is single-handedly responsible for me having more redheaded friends than anyone else...ever.

8) Working Girl (1988). Tess McGill is a young
9) Overboard (1987). Consequently, I named my first goldfish Goldie.
10) The Princess Bride (1987). How I learned that the only way to really prove your love is by fighting a rodent in a firey sandpit.
So it's a quirky collection. But I'm dying to know if anyone else saw these movies as much as I did! Or was everyone else watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
What's on your list?









6 comments:
I think what makes your list unique to other kids your age is that you can make one. You pretty much only saw 10 movies. For the rest of us... War of the Roses and Working Girl might make top 100 - because yes, we were watching Ferris Bueller's Day off. And The Goonies. and Flight of the Navigator. and Road House.
Kids your age? Step off, old man.
you did have a more mature list of movies there...half of those I didnt watch till I was older. Oh but I loved Karate Kid...and I watched it this weekend too! love it. so i ended up making a blog post about my movie list...dont worry I gave you credit for my inspiration!
I too was traumatized by "IT" at a young age. And whenever I talk about how much this movie freaked me out, people just give me the blank stare. Good to know there are others out there who were also afflicted. ;o)
PS Saw the link to your blog on Meg's blog, so I hope you don't mind if I comment!
Jack, I feel you. Tim Curry is one scary motherfucker. And comments are always welcome!
your mom is always welcome.
jk.
i haven't seen 5 of the movies on your list - oh laurie and ed, sparking your child's maturity through cinema.
Post a Comment