Monday, August 3, 2009

what $40 will buy you

Last Sunday, Brian and I were on the way to church when we realized we were egregiously late. We were deciding how futile it would be to drive half an hour for half a sermon when we saw a sign for an estate sale. 

6 hours and 4 more sales later, we had accumulated this: 
Counterclockwise from the top: Some rummy game, an early 1900s cigarette pack holder, wooden salt&pepper shakers, a weird card game with no directions, a brooch, a bat, a 99 Beers on the Wall puzzle, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, an old Ritz cracker tin, an Emmy Lou Harris record, 2 classical records, and a DVD of ESPN Scene-It.
Not pictured: a workbench, a set of metal shelves, and 2 mini cooler bags.

Pretty random in all, but there are a few interesting things about our finds. 
1) Everything here besides the bat and the brooch were between 25-50 cents. CENTS. 
2) I have a matching Saltines cracker tin. This may mark the beginning of an unfortunately useless collection of metalware.
3) The bat turned out to be a stellar find, a rare left-handed original Louisville Slugger from somewhere around 1916-1920.
4) That cigarette holder thingie is now officially a candy holder. I blame its inherent addictive properties for my unbelievable Snickers intake. 
5) After a coat of paint, the workbench and the shelves look ah-mazing in the garage, and we've already used the cooler bags twice. Which equates to approximately 6 cents per bag, per use. Beat that, sucka!

We tried to go to a few more sales this past weekend but only found crap on top of piles crap. A crap sundae, if you will. But hey, you win some you lose some.







3 comments:

Jackie said...

tha't cool about the bat! you guys should go on antique roadshow. "white teeth" isn't as good as "on beauty," but still dec.

LB said...

Man, I specifically bought WT because I thought I remembered you saying it was great. Dangit! Oh well, $.50 could've been spent on something worse.

katie said...

whoa! that bat is awesome!!

and beware: those estate sales can be incredibly addicting!