Wednesday, March 6, 2013

the road to africa...

...is paved with vaccinations.

yellow fever, polio, typhoid, tetanus, hep a, hep b, and flu (for good measure)

That's right, we're going to Africa! And it'll only take 10 needles, 2 prescriptions, ignoring 4 state department warnings, and 2 eight-hour flights to get there :)

Jokes aside, we leave in a few short days to spend two weeks in Kenya, and I couldn't be more excited/nervous! Up until a couple of months ago, I'd been frothing at the mouth for a trip to New Zealand and had all but booked it when I realized Brian wasn't too stoked. Which I guess seems strange - you do know that NZ is supposed to be THE most beautiful place in the world right?! - but he had spent some time in Australia, so the thought about jumping over to the next nearest neighbor wasn't too out-of-the-box in his mind.

After a little brainstorming and an awful lot of discussion, we decided to pursue one of my other bucket list adventures - a volunteer trip to east Africa. I don't know how or why that ever got seeded in my brain, but I have always been super intrigued by east African cultures (as a lot of people are), and just sort of felt like maybe there was something for me over there. So now we'll find out!

The organization that helps coordinate everything is called IVHQ (International Volunteer Headquarters). We chose them because 1) I know someone who did a different program with them and loved it, and 2) I like the way they're infrastructure is set up, which makes it super affordable - and most volunteer programs are stupidly & prohibitively expensive. They have programs all over the world, with all sorts of placements, from construction to teaching to wildlife conservation to sports recreation. SO hard to choose from! You should check out their site if you're at all interested in this kind of thing; it's amazing what you can get yourself into with a couple of clicks on the computer :)

Anyway so here's what we're looking at, itinerary-wise:
  • Fly into Nairobi, Kenya - one day of orientation
  • 3-4 day safari through the Maasai Mara 
  • Back to Nairobi (or just outside) for 2 weeks of living with a host family and going to our daily placements - Brian will be at an orphanage, and I will be doing a women's education program (could range from teaching about reproductive systems to working with them to improve their trade, like selling beads, etc.)
  • 36-hour stopover in Amsterdam
  • Home
  • Sleep + sadness

So far I've only picked up about 15 words in Swahili, along with "I speak English" and "Can you take our picture?" I think if I can master "Where is the bathroom, I feel like a monster is clawing its way out of my lower intestine" then I should be good to go!


5 comments:

Mary Jane said...

LB! I had no idea you were going to Africa...how awesome! The needles...not so much. Let's chat before you go if you have some time! =) MJ

Jackie said...

EW! All those needles! Did you get the all at once? I guess they're worth it and stuff...

LB said...

Ha, I DID get them all at once, and then went back for another one later :) I felt like someone had punched me in the bicep later!

Patricia Clayton said...

Wow! How exciting! I'd trade you a lifetime supply of sourdough for a chance to ride along in your suitcase! Have a marvelous time!!

Patricia Clayton said...

Wow! How exciting! I'd trade you a lifetime supply of sourdough for a chance to ride along in your suitcase! Have a marvelous time!!