Sunday, February 3, 2013

not fighting is way harder than fighting

Since I met Brian, I got introduced to skiing and absolutely fell in love with it. Which is lucky, since Brian is super passionate about skiing - grew up in Colorado, on ski team in high school, etc. During our time together we've been to Steamboat, Tahoe, Breckenridge, and a smaller "mountain" in Wisconsin...all great trips...on which I cried every single time.

Because despite our mutual love for skiing, we cannot seem to pull it together when it comes to skiing together. A typical day goes like this: I take a lesson in the morning, join back up with the group in the afternoon, show Brian one of my new skillz, he gives me a pat on the back, then tries to teach me more new things, and I burst into tears and go skiing with someone else. We've always had enough other people around us that I could always ski with instead, so honestly I didn't worry about it too much. Until we got in on a Chicago-Denver flight sale for $104 (round trip!) and then realized we couldn't get anyone to come with us. OOPS!

So here's the funny thing about marriage that's a little different from dating. When you're dating (assuming it's not super serious), sometimes it's just easier to fight than it is to get to the root of the friction and fix it for good. You're not entirely sure this person's gonna be around forever so letting your crazy flag fly is a lot more natural than sitting down for a communication-a-thon. But then you go and get married and lo and behold, your disagreements are bound to be similar and recurring for the rest of your life, so it's better in the long-term to just take the painful route of truly figuring out what's going on so you can better handle the situation the next time it comes up. And for our ski trip, we needed to stop acting like we were dating and go on and get married dammit.

So we did the responsible thing...we drank. Oh, and stood in the kitchen for two hours trying to figure out how to not fight on the ski slope. It was painstaking. It was overanalytical. It was embarrassing (mostly the part where I realized I wanted him to give me more praise on my skiing progress, what am I, 6 years old?). It was even boring. But you know what? We walked out of there with a plan. A how-to-ski-together communication plan. Because we are mother-f-ing ADULTS.

And it worked! It totally worked. We made pacts (I will give 100%. He will let me choose when to receive a "lesson" from him. See, told you it was painful...) and we kept them and had a blast. It is such a ridiculous thing to call a success, but it was really important for us to figure out this whole thing, because skiing is going to be a big part of our lives and it makes no sense for it not to be a big happy part.

Now I need to take a nap from all this adult-ness.

lessons on the lift = acceptable

Winter Park village (and fresh snow!)

so freaking cute


one of the fun things about being alone on a trip is that your husband can't escape when you want to, say, watch carolers?




no tears here!

or here!


who can argue when you're looking at this?






1 comment:

Jackie said...

You should go skiing with me! You'll definitely be better than me, so you'll feel good about your skillz.