Despite the ridiculous number of evenings I've spent eating Triscuits for dinner at the office, there has been so much to love already about this summer!
Arlington Racetrack My friends and I are becoming regulars at the local horsetrack. What a weird thing to say. Anyway, I was on an amazing winning streak based off of some pretty basic betting tenets (cool name? check.) but this last time I finally entered the red so I may have to learn how to dissect the super-intense programs they give you to make some educated decisions. ORRRRRR start choosing horses by the jockey's name instead.
Concerts When Lundy was in town for work (I'm seeing a trend and I like it!), our friend Chrissy invited us to come see Miranda Lambert and Brad Paisley play at Wrigley Field...for free. I knew zero songs but it was pretty amazing to see a show at such an iconic venue. Plus the country fans were totally different from Texas-style rednecks...as Lundy put it..."these people are all normal."
In the spirit of keeping it real (i.e. I had no control over timing), Brian and I had tickets to see Radiohead the next night. Talk about shifting gears. The venue was an hour away and one of our friends conjured up a little ride for us.
Radiohead was great in terms of delivering a low-key, music appreciation hour, but I was disappointed in how much new stuff was played, seeing as how I stopped actively listening around 2001. They'll be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of show for me I think. Until I'm jonesing for my next stripper limo, I guess.
Up next on the immediate horizon - CAMPING! I can't wait. My sobriety was in question when I realized a massive REI sale was minutes away from ending on Memorial Day and went ahead and ordered a several-hundred-dollar tent...so I'm feeling pretty good about that purchase. Unfortunately the only campsite available was in the Quiet Loop, which is not my specialty, but I'm pumped to detach from this crazy city life and take a deep breath...only a few weeks to go!
With Kim and the other Laura,
who is the main reason my friends here call me LB :)
Baseball games For someone who doesn't know shit about the Cubs, I'm rather enjoying myself these days! We have season tickets through work and everyone gets to participate in a lottery to select 1 game, and fortunately I got the Memorial Day game. Brian and I took Mark & Kim, which was super fun as usual, and during the Star Spangled Banner they released a bald eagle during the crescendo of the song so it was pretty much the most American place to be on earth. I also got to see them play the Red Sox this past weekend with some work friends (poaching on someone else's tickets, yes please). And last but not least, DJ & Sally were in town a few weeks ago for her work, so while these other jokers were working, DJ and I flew solo to a White Sox game on the other side of town. Pretty nice to sit in a modern stadium with instant replay screens, but I definitely prefer the old-school, ivy-fenced Wrigley.
work friends at Wrigley!
south side for the White Sox
Concerts When Lundy was in town for work (I'm seeing a trend and I like it!), our friend Chrissy invited us to come see Miranda Lambert and Brad Paisley play at Wrigley Field...for free. I knew zero songs but it was pretty amazing to see a show at such an iconic venue. Plus the country fans were totally different from Texas-style rednecks...as Lundy put it..."these people are all normal."
In the spirit of keeping it real (i.e. I had no control over timing), Brian and I had tickets to see Radiohead the next night. Talk about shifting gears. The venue was an hour away and one of our friends conjured up a little ride for us.
This further proved the old adage:
"A limo with a stripper pole is where it's at."
Radiohead was great in terms of delivering a low-key, music appreciation hour, but I was disappointed in how much new stuff was played, seeing as how I stopped actively listening around 2001. They'll be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of show for me I think. Until I'm jonesing for my next stripper limo, I guess.
Up next on the immediate horizon - CAMPING! I can't wait. My sobriety was in question when I realized a massive REI sale was minutes away from ending on Memorial Day and went ahead and ordered a several-hundred-dollar tent...so I'm feeling pretty good about that purchase. Unfortunately the only campsite available was in the Quiet Loop, which is not my specialty, but I'm pumped to detach from this crazy city life and take a deep breath...only a few weeks to go!


1 comment:
I love it! How nice it must be to live in a place with a pleasant summer climate.
Post a Comment