This weekend on the big 2-8, we ventured into the blek weather (snowy, then cold and rainy) for lunch and a special undisclosed birthday errand! The surprise was a visit to the Chopping Block, an adorable cooking store and culinary school of sorts, where I got to choose two classes for my present from Brian! I've never actually taken a cooking class before but we've been watching sooooo much Food Network lately that I'm super excited to be a participant instead of a voyeur.
After the Chopping Block, a sign for a wine tasting caught my lush of an eye, so we wandered into this little gem.
After the Chopping Block, a sign for a wine tasting caught my lush of an eye, so we wandered into this little gem.
Isn't it so cute? The downstairs contained the meat shop, fresh produce, and some delicious artisan cheeses, and the upstairs featured the wine and vodka tastings. Two comments about this experience.
One: a benefit to living so close to Wisconsin is that cheese is freaking delicious, there are a million varieties, and it doesn't seem ridiculously overpriced. Although I have to say, the Tillamook medium sharp cheddar that I discovered on our honeymoon still reigns as the best cheddar I've had. Perhaps a new taste test is in order?! Just kidding. That made me into a crazy apple lady, hated by checkout cashiers around the world.
Two: I am such a sucker for tastings. I tried a raspberry vodka that ended up in my glass at home a few hours later. I tried a delicious Portugal wine that I would've bought if I could've found it on the shelves. I tried a Jack-with-basil cheese that I absolutely would've bought if we hadn't been heading to lunch, where it would sit unrefrigerated. I tried sushi at the grocery store(!) a few months ago and it has been my go-to quick sushi stop ever since. What is wrong with me??? I definitely feel a little obligated to at least faux-consider the product after I've just helped myself to a mouthful of it, but I know that I don't have to buy it, according to social norm standards. I just have to buy it according to my taste buds' standards. If it doesn't taste like pigs feet, I'm in.
Although it may be a dangerous habit, I want to go back to the deli (maybe after our cooking class tonight?!) and see what deliciousness might be up for grabs. And maybe grab some of that Jack cheese. And by maybe I mean definitely.
1 comment:
Cooking classes are such an awesome present. Did you already do one or both? How were they? (And yes...the Chopping Block is so cute.)
Post a Comment