I don't actually remember seeing people in Uggs during college, but I remember learning distinctly that Uggs were a college thing. Because I'm always at least two years behind shoe trends, I completely missed the acceptable time in my life where I could wear them. This was okay with me because I think they're f-Uggly. No shape, no style, no sass, no thank you.
I then experienced an Ugg hiatus for my three years in Austin. Those things were nowhere to be found. My friends might have had them, but I don't think they wore them (probably because they stopped wearing them in college...). I naturally assumed Uggs were out.
So imagine my surprise when I move to Chicago and BOOM, Uggs are back! They never left! And they're more in style than ever!
You don't even have to follow the Sweatpant Code: where you look like the only effort you could put into your hot mess of an outfit was to shove your sweatpants into your Uggs. Nope, here, you can be a female over the age of 24 and wear these in public, at work, and other socially acceptable places.
Now my question is...were Uggs ever out? Or have they legitimately been on a 10-year hot streak among women of all ages? The only thing that really concerns me about this, beyond the fact that AMERICA HAS NO STYLE, is that I may actually be 10 years behind the shoe scene now.
I need to know people.
Uggs: in or out?
6 comments:
Funny you should post this since I JUST bought a pair of Ugg knock offs last week. In Texas there really is no need for them except for the occasional ice storm - which is why i finally decided to get some. I totally agree on their fugly quality, but once you put your cold feet into these puppies, you dont care what they look like anymore bc your feet are finally warm!
Thats not to say I don't see girls try to make use of their $160 boots year round. Even with the shortest possible mini skirt, I think its nuts to wear Uggs in the summer.
So I dont think UGGs have ever gone out of style...but they should have seasonal expiration dates.
Dude - I thought you told me I couldn't get Uggs??
But really, I have no idea about if they're in or out. Ever since I had the idea to get some - which was shot down by quite a few people who claimed "you're too old" - I've started to notice all the teenagers who wear them. In fact, in Memphis, pretty much the only people who wear them are teenagers/college kids. So for that reason, I probably won't get any.
But it could be a regional thing. The weather in Chicago certainly calls for some warm, snuggily footwear.
Are you SURE that the people you see wearing them are in their LATE 20s (because there's also sort of a difference between early 20s [maybe their boots still exist from college] and late 20s where you've gone out to BUY some in the decade since college).
I think Uggs are always "in style" for any age IN COLD WEATHER:) I love, love, love mine!
My perspective (as a male who would never own/buy them) is that in the south, you're more likely to see younger girls wearing them because it's "cool" and people our age in their late 20s probably don't wear them in the south because their isn't a need to look "cool" only to be warm.
But up in the midwest, different story. I've been TONS of Uggs up here though mostly on college students. Then again, I need to get out more...
I've had my pair from Australia since 2003 and wear them proudly with skinny jeans, leggings, skirts, you name it. That shit is WARM and comfy. I mean, I can't pass up the chance to keep my size 10 feet warm and feel like I'm walking around on house shoes.
In fact, I just bought a new pair last week. ha. Now they have glitter kinds and all sorts of fancy shiznit so go crazy! Stay warm! They've never gone out. :)
okay, i'm adding to the comment bandwagon...
i got my first pair of uggs back in college when they were "the thing." although it wasn't my original intent, they have turned out to be a very practical purchase b/c that shiznit is WARM and COMFY (oh my god, they're comfortable). thus, my purchase of pair #2 last year because the first pair had become so filthy.
when it's cold outside, they are my go-to shoes the moment i get home from work. they're basically my winter slippers. i also don't really have a problem wearing them to the grocery store or on a lazy Saturday, and I do wear them to work ocassionally (you know how casual we are), but I kind of feel like i'm pushing it when i do that. so, in or out, i don't care. they're delightful!
Post a Comment