Monday, September 20, 2010

it's a way of life

A haiku entitled "Despair":

Queso, I miss you.
Chi-town does not understand
Your melted goodness.

I know you can really feel it in my poetry, but I feel like I'm living in one of those depression commercials. You know who a-lack-of-queso hurts? Everyone.

I've demanded that we eat mexican a few times since moving here, and nobody has queso on the menu. Queso fundido, sure, queso fresco, sure. But straight up melted ambrosia? NOT FOR YOU SUCKA.

Austin does it right. After having queso as an appetizer, then they go ahead and smother your meal in it.

In my quest for queso, I have only found 2 solaces in this city. One is Qdoba, which I biked my hungover ass to yesterday specifically because I knew the only thing that could cure me was sweet melted white cheese with jalapenos. The second place is Uncle Julio's. As in, the Texas mexican food chain.

There are a few things wrong with this selection. Uncle J's is totally fine, but I can't commit myself to a $50 meal everytime I'm jonesing. The Qdoba variety did the trick on Sunday, but it was runnier and more bland than I remembered, which means that it can only be utilized in the darkest moments of anguish. (I still ate the entire bowl and felt like a new person afterwards. Coincidence? You know the answer).

I have drawn a few conclusions about my situation:
1) The quality of life here is sub-standard.
2) Chicagoans have no self-respect.
3) Someone is trying to kill me slowly.





6 comments:

Jackie said...

You could go back to making Velveeta/Ro-Tel everyday and settling in for some Dr. Phil.

Petes said...

I wonder if its possible to ship some to you??

Amy said...

the silver lining to this story is uncle J's. no doubt. they might have the best fajitas on the planet (who knew smothering CHICKEN in butter could be so amazing. gross and delicious all at the same time). true, it's not the most affordable option, but for when you just NEED it...good to know it's there. ;)

Lundy said...

Dude. I feel for you. Today I am so hungover and went to Chuy's and felt totally saved. I feel like you're on the verge of the best business idea ever though? A queso bar with like 5 different kinds? Kerbey Queso, Mag Mud, you name it, it will blow their minds. Just some queso for thought. :)

Rachel said...

maybe queso say-so can finally be born! you can bring queso to the masses in chicago! you can't be the only one missing it...

Rachel said...

so i didn't finish reading the comments before i posted. i concur with lundy :)