Alejandro's adorable kitchen


Friday BIRTHDAY DAY started nice and late (10 a.m.!) with a few wrap-up meetings and then a quick trip to the artist's market, where I bought a handmade, handpainted chip & dip...a true sign that I am officially 27 years old.
In the afternoon, we got to hear from some of the local nonprofits that will be our client's first clients, which was rather uplifting. It's nice to know that hopefully the work we do will ultimately help these people and their organizations. They are so grateful for anything...it reminded me how much I really do want to work in nonprofit consulting, if that's where my intended purpose is. It made for an intrinsically soothing birthday afternoon. We had a farewell dinner, during which I ate and drank for the first time without managing stomach cramps at the same time--success! After practicing some salsa dancing with our 60-year-old waiter, we headed back to the hotel for a "debriefing" that the Dean called, which turned into a birthday serenade from a 12-piece Mexican band that our hotel owners had hired!!! What a fantastic birthday surprise! Ringing in the big 2-7 with a local band while sipping tequila was definitely the way to go. As many as I could capture in one shot!
All in all, I guess the trip was a success. As a few of us got to know each other better in the week, the little excursions were a lot more fun, but we all were pretty sick of the food (hello, I just reversed 6 weeks of working out) and the claws in the group were starting to come out, so it ended just in time. We did feel like we could've done more work down there, but I won't even get into how frustrating THAT concept is. However, my roommate situation worked out well, and I recovered from the turista, and I got to work on my Spanish, and I had a few truly unforgettable experiences, so I guess that's what it's all about, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment