Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I say Google, you say "shut up"

Step. Step. Now on top of Google soapbox.

I heart Google as much as I heart my Mac and my cat and having queso twice a week. I met a woman recently who asked me how I stayed organized (not that I'm more organized than the average schizophrenic), and I rattled on about calendar/docs/e-mail/blogs/finance, and how the biggest technological conundrum I was having was whether to be an early adopter of the G1 or just sell my soul to AT&T and get the iPhone. That being said, the new Google video chat has blown my mind. I know that webcams are nothing new, but being able to sit at my desk and see/talk to Brian in realtime during his rehearsal on the northside of Chicago — for free — is rocking my world. 

Check your computer for a built-in camera. And then download this app. Here's a screenshot of a recent chat, just so you can see the clarity. For free. Doesn't my desk area look very important? It smells of rich mahogany.


Granted, I'm borderline obsessed with this entire line of software, but come on...it's pretty amazing that a program like this is free now, and only 10 years ago I was using a cell phone the size of a walkie talkie. By the time we're 35, what will we be using? My money's on being able to just take our fingers and draw the shape of a square in the air and have a screen appear...the new laptop, if you will. And I think you will. 



p.s. Update: the G1 is now in my pretty paws and I don't intend to let it go, come Hell, highwater, or a winning lotto ticket. If you want, I'll even show you the apps...my God, the apps...




No comments: