In the past 6 weeks or so, a few angels introduced me to the glory that is Girl Talk. Since then, I might have made you listened to him (Gregg Gillis, that is) in my car or maybe I let you watch me do high kicks around the house with his music in the background. I scored some of the last tickets to his upcoming show in Austin yesterday afternoon and the only thing standing between me and immediate ascension was a vat of TCBY. Thanks to a link from Peters, I ultimately found this interview from two years ago. I have the attention span of a goldfish when it comes to reading, so if I can get through this whole thing, you know it's got to be interesting. I especially enjoyed the part where he calls out underground music snobs...I have no patience for pretention when I just want to get my white girl groove on.

You'll probably wonder if he's been sued for sampling so many huge artists, but I don't think he has. It would be asanine for an artist to even go there, since his mixes rekindle a love for songs you haven't thought about in years (i.e. I'm guessing Track 3 spawned more impromptu downloads of All That She Wants than Ace of Base has seen since 1993). But I am kind of wondering if since this 2006 interview, he did get a cease and desist letter after all, since the latest album Feed the Animals is offered in the same pay-what-you-want style as Radiohead's In Rainbows. (Incidentally, Radiohead also just released the stems for their track Reckoner with an invitation to "Sample, cut, take the sounds, whatever. play it in a club. Play it in your room." Very a la Girl Talk.)
Check out the the article, the album, whatever. I dare you to not shake your ass.
1 comment:
how did I never introduce you to Girl Talk? I have every album. Amazing stuff.
Post a Comment